What is Elbow Dislocation?
Elbow Dislocation is the second most common joint dislocation, common in children.
Dislocated elbow happens when bones of forearm (ulnar and radius) move out of place compared to bone of upper arm (humerus). Damage and tearing of surrounding connective tissues such as ligaments and muscles are involved.
What causes Elbow Dislocation?
– Fall from outstretched arm, height or contact sport
– Car accidents
Signs and Symptoms of Dislocated Elbow
– Extremely painful and unable to move or continue activity
– Very obvious deformed
– Partial elbow dislocation or subluxation are harder to detect as bone can relocate and joint appear fairly normal. May present with pain, bruises and swelling around elbow joint.
Immediate Treatment for Elbow Dislocation
The immediate treatment for elbow dislocation is to relocate the elbow to its normal alignment by doctor or orthopedics specialist. X- ray may be taken to ensure well alignment. Thereafter, elbow is kept immobile in a sling or splint.
Effective treatments that can help after elbow dislocated
The treatment of elbow dislocation pain will entirely depends on the cause of elbow problem. All conditions are different, and treatments may differ from each individual.
Treatment for dislocated elbow may consists of:
– Physiotherapy: Your physiotherapist will understand about your elbow dislocation injury and perform physical examinations. Your elbow conditions will be diagnose and explain before implementing solutions to your elbow
– Manual therapy: Active and Passive Mobilisation or manipulation of elbow joints (humeroradial joint, proximal radioulnar joint)
– Massage Therapy: Hands on techniques such as soft tissue release, deep friction massage, myofascial release, trigger points release on elbow muscles (triceps brachii, anconeus, brachialis, biceps brachii, brachioradialis)
– Pain Relief Therapy: Using pain relief treatment modalities such as Ultrasound , electrical stimulation, TENS, laser, heat therapy to heal and repair injured, inflammed, torn tissues
– Shockwave Therapy: Advanced high energy pulses effective for chronic, persistent elbow muscle tightness, trigger points to stimulate healing. Proven treatment for elbow tendonitis, calcification/ bone spurs
– Exercise Therapy: Guided 1-1 specific joint movement therapy, muscle stretching, progressive strengthening elbow, conditioning back to sports, functional training
– Education: Advice to improve posture, lifestyle modifications
Our unique treatment approach for Elbow dislocation Therapy
At heal360 Physioclinic, our physiotherapist and rehabilitation therapist experts has developed a proprietary signature program for the elbow dislocation –PainRelief360™ Program
Our therapist will perform a thorough assessment and determine the potential cause of the elbow problem, and will develop a management and best treatment program for your elbow pain: relief pain, regain your elbow movement and give you a renewed, stronger elbow!