What is Lumbar (Back) Spinal Stenosis?
Lumbar Spinal Stenosis is a cause of back pain affecting mostly middle aged or elderly. The narrowing of the spinal canal may directly or indirectly produce symptoms. When there is increased pressure on the nerves, nerve will be inflammed and causing back pain.
Causes of Lumbar Spinal Stenosis
– Degenerative Arthritis
– Degenerative Disc Disease
– Presence of back bone spur
Signs and Symptoms of Lumbar Spinal Stenosis
– Low back pain
– Weakness, numbness, tingling, pins and needles down to legs
– Symptoms improved with sitting, bending forward
– Symptoms worsen with standing or walking or bend backwards
Physiotherapy Treatment for Lumbar Spinal Stenosis
At heal360 Physioclinic, our therapist will perform assessment and physical examination to determine the potential cause of the back problem, and will develop a management plan for your back pain.
Therapy treatment plan for lumbar spinal stenosis may include:
– Manual techniques, including mobilizations, manipulations and soft tissue muscle release massages
– Pain Relief Treatments such as Ultrasound, Heat therapy, Electrical Stimulation to decrease back pain and tightness
– Stretching and strengthening back exercises, to improve joint and muscle flexibility, core (deep abdominal muscle) stability and strengthening
– Postural strengthening and general conditioning
– Education in proper body mechanics and ergonomics at work, school and home with activities of daily living.