What is Cervical Spondylosis- ‘Neck Arthritis’?
Cervical Spondylosis is a common cause of neck pain problem as people increased age.
Also known as ‘Arthritis of the Neck’, Cervical Spondylitis, degeneration changes such as wear and tear of cartilage and bone, degenerated disc, bone spurs.
Often, cervical spondylosis condition is mixed up with other similar neck conditions:
- Cervical Spondylolysis: defect or crack (stress fracture) of the articulating part of the vertebra, the pars interarticularis. It may narrow the spinal canal in the neck compressing the spinal cord or spinal nerve roots
- Cervical Spondylolisthesis: rare, unusual painful neck where neck vertebrae move forward or backward movement
- Cervical Spinal stenosis: narrowing of the spinal canal in the neck
Causes of Cervical Spondylosis
- Aging, symptoms notice at age 20-50
- Arthritis of other joints, back, knee, shoulder
- Injury History
- Constant sitting for a long period of time, poor posture
- Lifting heavy objects
- Overweight/ Obesity
Signs and Symptoms of Cervical Spondylosis
- Neck Pain
- Pinched nerves, radiating to shoulders, arms, hands
- After prolonged activities such as sitting in front of computer, reading
- After inactivity, eg getting up bed from sleep
- Neck stiffness in morning
Physiotherapy Treatments for Cervical Spondylosis
At Physioclinic, our physiotherapist will treat each patient differently for neck arthritis pain depending on their individual condition after assessment. In most cases, physiotherapy can be used to treat neck pain without need for surgery or medications.
Physiotherapy treatments for neck problem may include:
- Pain Relief Treatments
- Neck Traction
- Rehabilitative Exercises: Stretching and strengthening
- Neck Strengthening and stability exercises
- Ergonomics and lifestyle advice
Seek help early if you are suffering from Cervical Spondylosis or Neck Arthritis Pain. Call /SMS our physiotherapist at 9639 0509 or EMAIL US