Jaw pain can be due to pain around jaw joint (Temperomandibular joint) or referred from another surrounding area of jaw (eg neck).
Temporomandibular disorders occur as a problem with jaw joint, ligament and surrounding jaw or face muscles that control chewing and moving the jaw.
Very often, jaw pain can also leads to chronic pain and recurrent headaches.
Symptoms of Jaw (Temperomandibular Joint-TMJ) Pain
- Dull, aching jaw pain when open or close mouth
- Clicking, popping sound
- Difficulty in control Biting or chewing
- Swelling on 1 side of face
- Inabiity to open jaw wide, feel ‘stuck’ or ‘lock’
- Discomfort on head or ear, especially in the morning
- Headache, Migraine, Dizziness, especially in the morning
- Ear problems such as earache, hearing loss, tinnitus
- Tenderness on touch
- Neck and shoulder pain
Causes of Jaw (Temperomandibular Joint-TMJ) Pain
The causes of jaw pain is unclear, many factors may place stress on the jaw joint, muscles:
- Trauma/ Injury/ Heavy blow/ Whiplash accident to the jaw, temporomandibular joint, or muscles of the head and neck
- Excessive biting, chewing, eating
- Clenching or grinding teeth
- Osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Jaw dislocation
- Myofascial Pain sydrome
Physiotherapy for Jaw (Temperomandibular Joint-TMJ) Pain
At heal360 Physioclinic, our therapists have experiences in assessing and treating people with Jaw (Temperomandibular Joint-TMJ) Pain.
Our physical therapeutic treatment will reduce you pain and restore range of movement and success with functional activities such as eating, talking and chewing.
Our treatment program may include:
- Pain Relief/ Tissue Healing treatment: such as ultrasound, TENS, muscle stimulation and heat to promote healing and physical function
- Joint mobilisation/ Manipulations
- Prescribing exercises to relieve pain and stiffness and improve muscle strength
- Stress management