Thumb sprain, medical term known as Skier’s Thumb, is a common cause of thumb pain and inflammation.
Sprained thumb occurs when the thumb is bent excessively forward or backwards, more than its normal range of movement. The thumb ligaments (ulnar collateral ligament (UCL) and the Radial collateral ligament (RCL) supporting the joint (carpometacarpal (CMC) joint) becomes overstretched or may be torn.
What are symptoms of thumb sprain?
– Pain and swelling over the thumb joint
– Pain on bending thumb and extending thumb
– Laxity and instability of thumb joint
Effective treatments that can cure thumb pain
The treatment of thumb pain will entirely depends on the cause of problem. All conditions are different, and treatments may differ from each individual.
Treatment for Thumb pain may consists of:
– Physiotherapy: Your physiotherapist will understand about your thumb pain and perform physical examinations. Your pain condition will be diagnose and explain before implementing solutions to your thumb
– Manual therapy: Active and Passive Mobilisation or manipulation of thumb joints
– Massage Therapy: Hands on techniques such as soft tissue release, deep friction massage, myofascial release, trigger points release on hands muscles
– Pain Relief Therapy: Using pain relief treatment modalities such as Ultrasound , electrical stimulation, TENS, laser, heat therapy to heal and repair injured, inflammed, torn tissues.
– Shockwave Therapy: Advanced high energy pulses effective for chronic, persistent wrist muscle tightness, trigger points to stimulate healing. Proven treatment for tendonitis, calcification/ bone spurs
– Exercise Therapy: Guided 1-1 specific joint movement therapy, muscle stretching, progressive strengthening thumb fingers, conditioning back to sports, functional training
– Education: Advice to improve posture, lifestyle modifications
Our unique treatment approach for thumb pain
At heal360 Physioclinic, our physiotherapist and rehabilitation therapist experts has developed a proprietary signature program for the thumb pain –PainRelief360™ Program
Our therapist will perform a thorough assessment and determine the potential cause of the thumb problem, and will develop a management and best treatment program for your thumb pain: relief pain, regain your thumb /finger movement and give you a renewed, stronger hands!