Most common running injuries occurs in the lower limb.
Here are the top 10 common running injuries:
- Runner’s knee. This is caused by overuse of the knee and cause the kneecap being out of alignment. Preventions such as stretch prior the exercises.
- Stress Fracture. This is caused by break in the bone, and experiences of pain and discomfort. The most important prevention is rest!!
- Shin Splint. This is caused by run for long distances or increasing the number of days per week. Preventions such as rest, stretch exercises.
- Achilles Tendinitis. This is caused by inflammation of the Achilles tendon, due to repetitive stress to the tendon. Preventions such as calf stretch, rest, ice the area after exercises.
- Muscle Pull. This is a small tear of the muscle, often caused by overstretch of a muscle. Most common muscles are: hamstring, calf, quadriceps, and groin area. Treatments are R.I.C.E.
- Ankle Sprain. This is sudden stretch or tearing of ankle ligaments due to sudden twists of the foot. Best treatments: R.I.C.E
- Plantar Fasciitis. This is causes by inflammation of the plantar fascia, which I the thick band tissue in the bottom of the foot. It attach from heel to toes. Preventions such as calf stretches, rest, icing the bottom of foot after exercises.
- Iliotibial Band Syndrome ( ITBS ) . This causes pain on the outside of the knee. It occurs when the band become thicker and rubs the femur and this may due to inflammation of the band. Treatment to prevent it: reduced the exercises per week, stretch prior to exercise, ice the area after activity.
- Meniscus Degeneration/ Tear
- Cartilage Degeneration/ Early Arthritis
Check out our Sports360™ Program