Often, joint and muscle stiffness will develop after an injury, a period of inactivity, illness, a surgical procedure, or a prolonged and heavy activity
Most people will also experience tight muscle and joint stiffness sometime in their lives due to wrong posture during sleeping, sitting, working for long hours or placing the joint in an awkward position. This symptom is rarely serious and but it may be a warning symptom of many physical disorder or illness.
When should I seek treatment for Muscle and Joint Stiffness?
Sometimes muscle tightness and joint stiffness may disappear after 1 day or so. Special attention should be taken to see a doctor or physiotherapist if hard muscle or joint stiffness persists and not recovering, especially:
- Nagging constant aches and soreness
- Radiating pain or discomfort to other body area – numbness, tingling, pins and needles
- Trauma or car accident
- Difficulty breathing, eating or sleeping
- Headaches, Migraines or Nausea
- Persistent pain for many days
- Trigger points, muscle tension knots
- Limited range of movement or crepitus sound in movement
Effective treatments that can help Muscle and Joint Stiffness
The treatment of tight muscle and stiff joint will entirely depends on the cause of problem. All conditions are different, and treatments may differ from each individual.
Treatment may consists of:
–Stretch Therapy: Different types of stretch techniques to make your muscles and joint more flexible
– Physiotherapy: Your physiotherapist will understand about your problem and perform physical examinations. Your conditions will be diagnose and explain before implementing solutions to your problem
– Manual therapy: Active and Passive Mobilisation or manipulation of joints
– Massage Therapy: Hands on techniques such as soft tissue release, deep friction massage, myofascial release, trigger points release on muscles
– Pain Relief Therapy: Using pain relief treatment modalities such as Ultrasound , electrical stimulation, TENS, laser, heat therapy to heal and repair injured, inflammed, torn tissues
– Shockwave Therapy: Advanced high energy pulses effective for chronic, persistent muscle tightness, trigger points to stimulate healing. Proven treatment for elbow tendonitis, calcification/ bone spurs
– Exercise Therapy: Guided 1-1 specific joint movement therapy, muscle stretching, progressive strengthening, conditioning back to sports, functional training
– Education: Advice to improve posture, lifestyle modifications
Our unique treatment approach for Muscle & Joint Stiffness
At heal360 Physioclinic, our physiotherapist and rehabilitation therapist experts has developed a proprietary signature program for the muscles and joint –Stretch360™ Program
Our therapist will perform a thorough assessment and determine the potential cause of the problem, and will develop a management and best treatment program for your pain: relief pain, regain your flexibility, movement and give you a renewed, agile body!