Slipped disc is one of the most common neck and back pain condition. Other closely related disc condition’s terms used – disc degeneration, disc prolapse, disc bulge, ruptured disc, disc compression, herniated disc, pinched nerve, sciatic, disc disease.
It can happen in any level of the spine. Disc is located between bones of the spine (vertebrae-backbone) and function as a shock absorbers.
What is a Slipped Disc?
Slipped disc is a painful medical condition affecting the spine. Most commonly affect region is L4/L5, L5/ S1. It occurs when the disc annular fibrous ruptures or gel-like fluid slips out of place and leak out.
Causes of Slipped Disc
– Daily wear and tear of spine or back bone
– Sudden injuries or repeated strain
– Poor posture in sitting, carrying heavy things, twisting
Stages of Slipped Disc
1) Disc Degeneration/ Protrusion: Weakening of nucleus pulposus (inner gel like substances)
2) Disc Prolapse: Some inner layers of annular fibrosus are torn, gel starts to seep out
3) Disc Extrusion: Gel like nucleus pulposus breaks through annular fibrosus.
4) Disc Sequestration: Nucleus pulposus moves outside the disc and into spinal canal.
Majority of disc pain will occur at between backbone disc level of L4-L5, L5-S1.
Signs and Symptoms of Slipped Disc:
– May be dull or sharp pain, muscle spasm or cramping, weakness, tingling, or referred pain.
– For neck pain, symptoms may radiate to arms. For back pain, symptoms may radiate to legs. (Weakness, tingling, pins and needles sensation)
– For worst cases, loss of bladder or bowel control. Unsteady in walking. Difficulty sleeping or awaken by pain. Sexual Dysfunction
Effective Treatments Solution for Slipped Disc Back Pain:
–Pain Relief Therapy: Using pain relieving treatment modalites such as Ultrasound , electrical stimulation, TENS, laser, heat therapy to reduce pain, tissue repair and healing
– Physiotherapy: Your physiotherapist will understand about your back pain and perform physical examinations. Your back conditions will be diagnose and explain before implementing solutions to your back.
– Medical Exercise Therapy: Specific targeted exercises to relieve back pain, proper stretching to loosen back muscles tightness, correct muscle imbalance. Long term progressive exercises are important for chronic back pain to rehabilitate, strengthen deep abdominal, back and core muscles, exercises to improve dynamic spinal stability. All exercises are guided by therapist to correct possible incorrect compensatory movement and ensure proper posture alignment, technique and muscle activation.
– Stretch Therapy: Using a variety of different active or passive stretching methods to improve muscle length, reduce muscle tension
– Massage Therapy: Hands-on technique such as soft tissue release, deep friction massage, myofascial release, trigger points release to ease back pain and muscle tightness
–Shockwave Therapy: Advanced high energy pulses effective for chronic, persistent back muscle tightness, trigger points to stimulate healing
– Spinal Decompression Therapy: Using computerized system creates an anti-gravity, negative pressure to the thoracic and lumbar spine on the spinal disc, joints, nerves and muscles.
– Manual Therapy: Passive thoracic/ lumbar joint mobilisation, manipulation, manual traction, craniosacral therapy
– Education: Advice to improve posture, lifestyle modifications, ergonomics workstation adjustment, stress reductions
Our unique treatment approach for Slipped Disc back pain
At heal360 Physioclinic, our physiotherapist and rehabilitation therapist experts has developed a proprietary signature program for the spine –Spine360™ Program
Our therapist will perform a thorough assessment and determine the potential cause of the problem, and will develop a management and best treatment program for your back pain: re-educate, re-train your spinal muscles, and give you a renewed, stronger spine and confident look!