What is Fibromyalgia?
Fibromyalgia is a chronic medical condition, widespread area of pain, stiffness, tenderness over the muscles, tendon and joints all over the body. Often, fibromyalgia is hard to diagnose.
Fibromyalgia affects mostly women aged 35 to 55.
Signs and Symptoms of Fibromyalgia
Symptoms may last over months or years. People may look well with no body deformity or tissue damaged, but feel terrible:
– Fatigue, general tiredness
– Tender points
– Pain usually affects shoulder, neck, arms, buttocks, upper back
– Heightened pain perception when placed pressure on points.
– Sleep disorder
– Irritable bowel syndrome
– Nerve pain
– Muscle twitching, muscle spasm, muscle weakness
– Worsen with noise, weather, stress
– Headache and migraine
Causes of Fibromyalgia
The cause is unknown. Possible factors causing Fibromyalgia:
– Family history
– Neck injury or trauma
– Sleep problems
Physiotherapy Treatment for Fibromyalgia
At physioclinic, our physiotherapists can help Fibromyalgia:
– reduced pain
– reduced muscle spasm, twitching, joint stiffness
– increase muscle strength
– improved sleep
– education on lifestyle modifications
Our physiotherapists will also work with other medical professionals and doctors, to help you achieve the best optimal outcome.