The natural response to injury, irritation or pain is ‘inflammation’. Inflammation is natural body’s protective reaction to destroy foreign bodies and dead cells at an injury/infection site to initiate the healing process. The inflammation period can last from several hours to several weeks into the healing process.
Signs and Symptoms of Inflammation:
- Limited movement
Types of Inflammation
Acute- Inflammation occurs immediately, rapidly in short time and symptoms may last for a few days. Eg when ankle just sprain rolled over. Tissue damage due to trauma or accident.
Persistent acute inflammation: In some cases, a person may not fully recover from acute inflammation.
Subacute inflammation- period between acute and chronic inflammation which may last 2 to 6 weeks
Chronic inflammation- slow, long term inflammation lasting longer period of several months to years. The severity and duration vary with the cause of injury and body abilit to repair and heal the tissue
Factors that increase prolong inflammation:
– older age
– insufficient rest
-inadequate good quality sleep
Treatments that can reduce inflammation and pain:
– Physiotherapy: Physiotherapy can assist with the inflammation stage of tissue repair and healing. Physiotherapists can start treatment on the 1st day of inflammation for a faster recovery.
– Manual therapy: Active and Passive Mobilisation or manipulation of inflammed soft tissue and joints
– Massage Therapy: Gently Hands on techniques such as soft tissue release
– Lymphatic Therapy: can help to drain away toxin and accumulated fluid retention of the swelling area
– Pain Relief Therapy: Using pain relief treatment modalities such as Ultrasound , electrical stimulation, TENS, laser, heat therapy to heal and repair injured, inflammed, torn muscle tissues or ligament
– Shockwave Therapy: Advanced high energy pulses effective for persistent inflammation such as chronic tendinitis
– Exercise Therapy: Specific exercise to the condition/disease can help reduce inflammation by activating a response at the cellular level.
– Education: Advice to lifestyle modifications, get back to work/sports