What is Patellar dislocation/ subluxation?
Patellar dislocation is displacement of the knee cap out from the normal position, it due to damage of the soft tissues surrounding the knee cap (patella).
Patella subluxation is a unstable kneecap which glides up and down out of knee glove. Subluxation is more common than dislocation and happens in woman.
What are causes of the Patella dislocation
- Sudden change in directions
- Excessive twisting or jumping forces
- Hyper flexibility of the connective tissues
- Tightness muscles
- Weakness of the knee muscles
Signs and symptoms of patellar dislocation
- Swelling of the knee
- Feeling the knee ‘ giving out’ or ‘ popping out ’
- Sudden or intensive pain in front the knee
- Clicking or gridding of the knee
- Sharp pain of the knee during high impact activities.
Effective treatments that can help Dislocated Patella
The treatment of knee pain will entirely depends on the cause of knee problem. All conditions are different, and treatments may differ from each individual.
Treatment for knee pain may consists of:
– Physiotherapy: Your physiotherapist will understand about your knee pain and perform physical examinations. Your knee conditions will be diagnose and explain before implementing solutions to yourknee
– Manual therapy: Active and Passive Mobilisation or manipulation of knee joints, patella joint
– Massage Therapy: Hands on techniques such as soft tissue release, deep friction massage, myofascial release, trigger points release on knee surrounding muscles
– Pain Relief Therapy: Using pain relief treatment modalities such as Ultrasound , electrical stimulation, TENS, laser, heat therapy to heal and repair injured, inflammed, torn tissues or patella soft tissues
– Shockwave Therapy: Advanced high energy pulses effective for chronic, persistent knee muscle tightness, trigger points to stimulate healing. Proven treatment for tendonitis, calcification/ bone spurs
– Exercise Therapy: Guided 1-1 specific joint movement therapy, muscle stretching, progressive strengthening knee, conditioning back to sports, functional training
– Education: Advice to improve posture, lifestyle modifications
Our unique treatment approach for dislocated knee pain
At heal360 Physioclinic, our physiotherapist and rehabilitation therapist experts has developed a proprietary signature program for the knee pain –PainRelief360™ Program
Our therapist will perform a thorough assessment and determine the potential cause of the knee problem, and will develop a management and best treatment program for your knee pain: relief pain, regain your knee movement and give you a renewed, stronger knee!