What is Golfer’s Elbow?
Golfer’s Elbow (or medial epicondylitis) is the inflammation of the wrist flexor tendon that joins the forearm muscles on the inner part of the elbow. This happens to golfer’s players, as well as non golfer’s players.
What are the causes of Golfer’s Elbow?
Golfer’s Elbow is a painful condition as tissues becomes damaged and injured:
– Overuse, repeating same movement again and again
– Prolonged grasping such as gym, working in front of computer, manual work
– Age: most common in 30-50. Anyone can get tennis elbow if they have the risk factors
– Sports: In racquet sports like golf, improper stroke technique and improper equipment
– Unspecific: can occur without any recognized repetitive injury
Common Signs and Symptoms of Golfer’s Elbow
– Slow onset, usually worsen over weeks
– Pain on inner part of the elbow, occasionally spread to forearm
– Bending wrist, turning palm down
– Weak grasp strength
Effective treatments that can help Golfer’s elbow pain
The treatment of golfer’s elbow pain will entirely depends on the cause of elbow problem. All conditions are different, and treatments may differ from each individual.
Treatment for elbow pain may consists of:
– Physiotherapy: Your physiotherapist will understand about your elbow pain and perform physical examinations. Your elbow conditions will be diagnose and explain before implementing solutions to your elbow
– Manual therapy: Active and Passive Mobilisation or manipulation of elbow joints (humeroradial joint, proximal radioulnar joint)
– Massage Therapy: Hands on techniques such as soft tissue release, deep friction massage, myofascial release, trigger points release on elbow muscles (triceps brachii, anconeus, brachialis, biceps brachii, brachioradialis)
– Pain Relief Therapy: Using pain relief treatment modalities such as Ultrasound , electrical stimulation, TENS, laser, heat therapy to heal and repair injured, inflammed, torn tissues
– Shockwave Therapy: Advanced high energy pulses effective for chronic, persistent elbow muscle tightness, trigger points to stimulate healing. Proven treatment for elbow tendonitis, calcification/ bone spurs
– Exercise Therapy: Guided 1-1 specific joint movement therapy, muscle stretching, progressive strengthening elbow, conditioning back to sports, functional training
– Education: Advice to improve posture, lifestyle modifications
Our unique treatment approach for Golfer’s Elbow pain
At heal360 Physioclinic, our physiotherapist and rehabilitation therapist experts has developed a proprietary signature program for the golfer’s elbow pain –PainRelief360™ Program
Our therapist will perform a thorough assessment and determine the potential cause of the elbow problem, and will develop a management and best treatment program for your elbow pain: relief pain, regain your elbow movement and give you a renewed, stronger elbow!