Headaches and Migraines are complex type of pain and difficult to treat. There are evidence to show that most headaches and migraines are related to neck problems.
Common headaches and migraines that responds well to physiotherapy is known as cervicogenic headache which originates due to pressure or damage to neck. Tension headaches usually begins with neckaches or neck discomfort, and may spread up to back of head, temporal head, forehead or eyes region. Headaches and migraines may be made worse by neck movement or remaining in a fixed position too long (especially sitting prolonged in front of computer).
Causes of Headaches and Migraines:
– Incorrect posture
– Whiplash injury
– Stress / tension
– Inaqeuate rest or sleep
– Existing neck problems
Symptoms of Headaches and Migraines:
– Intense throbbing pain
– Pain usually unilateral
– Neckaches or discomfort
Effective Treatment for Headaches and Migraines
After our detailed assessment, our therapist will plan and implement a well-rounded treatment program depending on your condition, which may include:
– Physiotherapy: Your physiotherapist will understand about your head pain and perform physical examinations. Your conditions will be diagnose and explain before implementing solutions to your neck.
– Manual therapy: Passive cervical joint mobilisation, manipulation, manual traction, craniosacral therapy
– Massage Therapy: Using hands on techniques to loosen tight neck muscles such as soft tissue release, deep friction massage, myofascial release, trigger points release
– Pain Relief Therapy: Using pain relieving treatment modalites such as Ultrasound , electrical stimulation, TENS, laser, heat therapy to reduce pain, tissue repair and healing
– Spinal Decompression Therapy: Using computerized system creates an anti-gravity, negative pressure to the cervical spine on the spinal disc, joints, nerves and muscles.
– Exercise Therapy: Guided progressive stretching and strengthening neck muscles, postural correction exercises
– Education: Advice to improve posture, lifestyle modifications, ergonomics workstation adjustment. stress reductions