Shoulder impingement syndrome is a common complain of shoulder pain, also known as swimmer’s shoulder, painful arc syndrome, thrower’s shoulder, supraspinatus syndrome.
Shoulder impingment happens when the rotator cuff tendons get trapped, inflammed, resulting in shoulder pain, weakness and loss of function.
Causes of Shoulder Impingement
– A trauma, accident or fall
– Shoulder instability or ligament laxity
– Weak Rotator Cuff muscles
– Poor posture
– Bone Spurs
– Wear and Tear of acromioclavicular (AC) joint (joint between scapula and collarbone)
– Overuse causing repetitive irritation of structures in shoulder joint, commonly seen in swimmers, throwers, racket players, and sports person
Symptoms of Shoulder Impingement
– Shoulder pain worsened when lifted above shoulder
– Swelling around shoulder joint
– Difficulty rolling or sleeping on painful side of shoulder
– Shoulder muscle weakness
– Loss of shoulder movement
– Popping or grinding sensation
Effective treatments that can help shoulder pain
The treatment of shoulder pain will entirely depends on the cause of shoulder problem. All conditions are different, and treatments may differ from each individual.
Treatment for shoulder pain may consists of:
– Physiotherapy: Your physiotherapist will understand about your shoulder pain and perform physical examinations. Your shoulder conditions will be diagnose and explain before implementing solutions to your shoulder
– Manual therapy: Active and Passive Mobilisation or manipulation of joints (Glenohumeral joint, acromioclavicular joint, Sternoclavicular Joint, and Scapulothoracic joint).
– Massage Therapy: Hands on techniques such as soft tissue release, deep friction massage, myofascial release, trigger points release
– Pain Relief Therapy: Using pain relief treatment modalities such as Ultrasound , electrical stimulation, TENS, laser, heat therapy
– Shockwave Therapy: Advanced high energy pulses effective for chronic, persistent shoulder muscle tightness, trigger points to stimulate healing. Proven treatment for tendonitis, calcification/ bone spurs
– Exercise Therapy: Guided 1-1 specific stretching and progressive strengthening shoulder muscles and joints
– Education: Advice to improve posture, lifestyle modifications
Our unique treatment approach for shoulder impingement pain
At heal360 Physioclinic, our physiotherapist and rehabilitation therapist experts has developed a proprietary signature program for the shoulder pain –PainRelief360™ Program
Our therapist will perform a thorough assessment and determine the potential cause of the shoulder problem, and will develop a management and best treatment program for your shoulder pain: relief pain, regain your shoulder movement and give you a renewed, stronger shoulder!