Shoulder pain is very common as our shoulder is the most mobile and complex joint in the body.
It is important to assess the cause of the shoulder symptoms and appropriate shoulder pain treatment.
What causes shoulder pain?
Shoulder pain is not always caused by a problem in the shoulder. It maybe also caused by problems in the neck (referred pain).
Common Shoulder Conditions:
– Frozen Shoulder/ Adhesive Capsulitis: common disorder that causes pain, stiffness, loss of normal range of movement
– Tendon Injury/ Tendinitis/ Tendinopathy/ Tendinosis/ Calcified tendon: common in rotator cuff tendon (supraspinatus, infraspinatus, teres minor, subscapularis), bicep tendon
– Shoulder Impingement Syndrome: also known as ‘swimmers shoulder’-result of chronic, repeated compression of the rotator cuff tendons.
– Shoulder Dislocation/ Subluxation/ Shoulder Instability
– Shoulder Muscle Strain: May be superficial muscles (such as pectoralis major, trapezius, latissimus dorsi, deltoid) or deep muscles (such as rhomboid, teres major, levator scapulae, serratus anterior, supraspinatus, infraspinatus, subscapularis) or surrounding muscles (such as biceps, triceps, coracobrachialis)
– Labral Tear: two most common types of labral injuries are SLAP (superior labrum from anterior to posterior) tears and Bankart tears
– Shoulder Ligament Sprain/ Tear (ligaments are soft tissure structures that connect bone to bone eg Glenohumeral Ligament, Coraco-acromial Ligament, Coraco-clavicular Ligaments, Transverse Humeral Ligament)
– Bursitis: inflammation of a fluid-filled sac (bursa) that normally protects the joint and helps it move smoothly
– Shoulder Arthritis
– Fracture of humerus (arm), clavicle (collarbone), scapular
– Shoulder Separation/ Acromioclavicular (AC) Joint separation
– Poor shoulder posture/ control
– Bone Spur
When should I seek help for shoulder pain?
See a doctor or physiotherapist when you are unsure the causes of shoulder pain, or if you do not know of what the treatments and recommendations that can help.
Signs and Symptoms:
– unable to move, lift up arm or carry objects
– shoulder pain, aching, numbness persists a few days
– accident, injuries or fall
– stiffness and tightness on shoulder joint and muscles
– shoulder weakness or unstable
Effective treatments that can help shoulder pain
The treatment of shoulder pain will entirely depends on the cause of shoulder problem. All conditions are different, and treatments may differ from each individual.
Treatment for shoulder pain may consists of:
– Physiotherapy: Your physiotherapist will understand about your shoulder pain and perform physical examinations. Your shoulder conditions will be diagnose and explain before implementing solutions to your shoulder
– Manual therapy: Active and Passive Mobilisation or manipulation of joints (Glenohumeral joint, acromioclavicular joint, Sternoclavicular Joint, and Scapulothoracic joint).
– Massage Therapy: Hands on techniques such as soft tissue release, deep friction massage, myofascial release, trigger points release
– Pain Relief Therapy: Using pain relief treatment modalities such as Ultrasound , electrical stimulation, TENS, laser, heat therapy to heal and repair injured, inflammed, torn tissues
– Shockwave Therapy: Advanced high energy pulses effective for chronic, persistent shoulder muscle tightness, trigger points to stimulate healing. Proven treatment for tendonitis, calcification/ bone spurs
– Exercise Therapy: Guided 1-1 specific joint movement therapy, muscle stretching, progressive strengthening shoulder, conditioning back to sports, functional training
– Education: Advice to improve posture, lifestyle modifications
Our unique treatment approach for shoulder pain
At heal360 Physioclinic, our physiotherapist and rehabilitation therapist experts has developed a proprietary signature program for the shoulder pain –PainRelief360™ Program
Our therapist will perform a thorough assessment and determine the potential cause of the shoulder problem, and will develop a management and best treatment program for your shoulder pain: relief pain, regain your shoulder movement and give you a renewed, stronger shoulder!