Plantar Fasciitis is a common foot pain condition. Sometimes also term as heel pain or arch pain.
It is a irritating pain at the bottom of the foot (plantar fascia). Plantar fascia is a thick connective tissue that runs from heel to toe. Plantar fascia’s function is to support the arch of foot by acting like a bowstring, shock-absorbing mechanism and stabilizes foot when toe lifts off.
Causes of Plantar Fasciitis:
– Foot arches problem (Flatfoot, High Arch)
– Overweight or sudden weight gain
– Repetitive loading onto foot (especially running long distance, uneven surfaces or downhill)
– Tight Achilles tendon or calf muscles
– Inappropriate footwear eg thin soles or lack of arch support
– Medical condition such as Arthritis, Diabetes
Symptoms of Plantar Fasciitis
Symptoms of pain usually develop gradually few days or weeks, but it can come on suddenly and severe pain.
– Sharp pain and tenderness at bottom of foot
– Mild swelling around foot and heel
– Most severe foot pain n the morning or after period of rest
– Prolonged walking or standing
Effective treatments that can help Plantar Fasciitis
The treatment of heel pain will entirely depends on the cause of Foot/Ankle problem. All conditions are different, and treatments may differ from each individual.
Treatment for heel pain may consists of:
– Physiotherapy: Your physiotherapist will understand about your plantar fasciitis and perform physical examinations. Your Foot/Ankle conditions will be diagnose and explain before implementing solutions to your heel
– Manual therapy: Active and Passive Mobilisation or manipulation of Foot/Ankle joints (subtalar joint, talocalcaneonavicular joint, calcaneocuboid joint, cuneonavicular joint, cuboideonavicular joint, and the intercuneiform joint)
– Massage Therapy: Hands on techniques such as soft tissue release, deep friction massage, myofascial release, trigger points release on Foot/Ankle surrounding muscles (Peroneal, calf – gastro/soleus)
– Pain Relief Therapy: Using pain relief treatment modalities such as Ultrasound , electrical stimulation, TENS, laser, heat therapy to heal and repair injured, inflammed, torn tissues or ligament- anterior talofibular ligament (ATFL), posterior talofibular ligament (PTFL), calcaneofibular ligament (CFL)
– Shockwave Therapy: Advanced high energy pulses effective for chronic, persistent knee Foot/Ankle tightness, trigger points to stimulate healing. Proven treatment for Achilles tendonitis, calcification/ bone spurs, plantar fasciitis
– Exercise Therapy: Guided 1-1 specific joint movement therapy, muscle stretching, progressive strengthening Foot/Ankle muscles, conditioning back to sports, functional training
– Education: Advice to improve posture, lifestyle modifications, get back to jogging, sports, Footwear advise
Our unique treatment approach for Heel pain
At heal360 Physioclinic, our physiotherapist and rehabilitation therapist experts has developed a proprietary signature program for the heel pain –PainRelief360™ Program
Our therapist will perform a thorough assessment and determine the potential cause of the heel problem, and will develop a management and best treatment program for your Foot/Ankle pain: relief pain, regain your Foot/Ankle movement and give you a renewed, stronger Foot/Ankle !