Shoulder dislocation is when the humerus (arm bone) dislocate out of the socket of scapula (shoulder blade). It can dislocate forward, backwards, downwards or combined. The most common is anterior shoulder dislocation, where humerus comes forward.
Dislocation is usually very painful for the first time, and numbness of the whole arm to hands.
Shoulder subluxation is when the humerus comes out partially from joint, and goes back in, usually on its own, or pushes back. Subluxation is also painful and arm feels weak and numb.
What causes Shoulder Dislocation and Shoulder Subluxation?
– contact sports, like martial arts, rugby, soccer
– fall with outstretched arm
– accident or trauma
– previous shoulder pain, shoulder instability
– torn ligaments or tendon
Diagnosis and Treatment for Shoulder Dislocation
Shoulder dislocation must seek medical treatment immediately to prevent further damage. Your doctor may relocate back humerus into the socket. This is usually followed by Xray to ensure shoulder joint is back in place and no other parts of bone fracture.
Symptoms of Shoulder Dislocation
– sudden onset sharp severe shoulder pain
– lost of sensation/feeling around shoulder to arm
– muscle weakness
Effective treatments that can help shoulder dislocation
The treatment of shoulder dislocation will entirely depends on the cause of shoulder problem. All conditions are different, and treatments may differ from each individual. People who dislocated shoulder must go through intensive therapy to prevent shoulder dislocating again and other long term complications.
Treatment for shoulder dislocated pain may consists of:
– Physiotherapy: Your physiotherapist will understand about your shoulder pain and perform physical examinations. Your shoulder conditions will be diagnose and explain before implementing solutions to your shoulder
– Manual therapy: Active and Passive Mobilisation or manipulation of joints (Glenohumeral joint, acromioclavicular joint, Sternoclavicular Joint, and Scapulothoracic joint).
– Massage Therapy: Hands on techniques such as soft tissue release, deep friction massage, myofascial release, trigger points release
– Pain Relief Therapy: Using pain relief treatment modalities such as Ultrasound , electrical stimulation, TENS, laser, heat therapy to heal and repair injured, inflammed, torn tissues
– Shockwave Therapy: Advanced high energy pulses effective for chronic, persistent shoulder pain, trigger points to stimulate healing faster. Proven treatment for tendonitis, calcification/ bone spurs
– Exercise Therapy: Guided 1-1 specific stretching and progressive strengthening shoulder muscles and joints, movement therapy, functional training, conditioning back to sports
– Education: Advice to improve posture, lifestyle modifications
Our unique treatment approach for shoulder pain
At heal360 Physioclinic, our physiotherapist and rehabilitation therapist experts has developed a proprietary signature program for the shoulder pain –PainRelief360™ Program
Our therapist will perform a thorough assessment and determine the potential cause of the shoulder problem, and will develop a management and best treatment program for your shoulder pain: relief pain, regain your shoulder movement and give you a renewed, stronger shoulder!
To book a therapy appointment for shoulder dislocation, please call 62244178 or SMS 9639 0509, or EMAIL US