What is Scapular (Shoulder Blade) dyskinesia?
Scapular dyskinesia is the change in the normal positioning of the shoulder blade (scapula) or abnormal uncoordinated movement of the shoulder blade and arm. This can give problems to the shoulder joint as well as shoulder pain, instability, weakness and higher risk of shoulder injury.
Causes of Scapular (Shoulder Blade) dyskinesia Problem
There are a number of causes to this shoulder problem:
- Weakness of the scapular stabilizers due to nerve injury from surgery, impact sports or improper use of arm
- Muscle tightness or inflexibility of shoulder or surrounding muscles
- Poor posture, curvature of neck or back
- Fractures of arm bone or collarbone (clavicle)
- Shoulder joint or acromioclavicular joint injuries
- Reduced proprioception (body inability to detect position of the joint sense)
- Brachial Plexus Injury
Signs and symptoms of scapular (Shoulder Blade) dyskinesia
- Excessive movement of the scapula.
- Pain problem around the shoulder joint.
- Loss of range of the shoulder joint.
- Inability to raise the arm.
- Winging shoulder blade
Effective treatments that can help shoulder blade problem
The treatment of shoulder pain will entirely depends on the cause of shoulder problem. All conditions are different, and treatments may differ from each individual.
Treatment for shoulder pain may consists of:
– Physiotherapy: Your physiotherapist will understand about your shoulder pain and perform physical examinations. Your shoulder conditions will be diagnose and explain before implementing solutions to your shoulder
– Manual therapy: Active and Passive Mobilisation or manipulation of joints (Glenohumeral joint, acromioclavicular joint, Sternoclavicular Joint, and Scapulothoracic joint).
– Massage Therapy: Hands-on techniques such as soft tissue release, deep friction massage, myofascial release, trigger points release
– Pain Relief Therapy: Using pain relief treatment modalities such as Ultrasound , electrical stimulation, TENS, laser, heat therapy
– Shockwave Therapy: Advanced high energy pulses effective for chronic, persistent shoulder muscle tightness, trigger points to stimulate healing. Proven treatment for tendonitis, calcification/ bone spurs
– Exercise Therapy: Guided 1-1 specific stretching and progressive strengthening shoulder muscles and joints
– Education: Advice to improve posture, lifestyle modifications
Our unique treatment approach for shoulder blade pain
At heal360 Physioclinic, our physiotherapist and rehabilitation therapist experts has developed a proprietary signature program for the shoulder pain –PainRelief360™ Program
Our therapist will perform a thorough assessment and determine the potential cause of the shoulder problem, and will develop a management and best treatment program for your shoulder pain: relief pain, regain your shoulder movement and give you a renewed, stronger shoulder!