Foot and ankle pain is very common. Pain can happen in any part of foot: toes, arch, sole, heel, ankle, ball of the foot. The incidence of foot increases with age. As foot is a weight bearing joint, injury and pain can cause altered biomechanics causing an abnormal gait pattern, placing greater amounts of stress onto other joints such as knee and back.
Common Causes of Foot /Ankle Pain:
– Shoes: Poorly fitted, high heels
– high impact activities
Common Foot Pain / Ankle Conditions:
– Heel Spur
– Ankle Sprain
– Archilles Tendinitis
– Fractures: Stress fracture, avulsion fracture
When to seek treatment for Foot/ Ankle Pain?
– Pain on touch or movement
– Unable to walk or weight bear
-Ankle pain, swelling, stiffness
– Burning, tingling, or numbness in feet.
Effective treatments that can help Foot/ Ankle pain
The treatment of Foot/Ankle pain will entirely depends on the cause of Foot/Ankle problem. All conditions are different, and treatments may differ from each individual.
Treatment for Foot/Ankle pain may consists of:
– Physiotherapy: Your physiotherapist will understand about your Foot/Ankle pain and perform physical examinations. Your Foot/Ankle conditions will be diagnose and explain before implementing solutions to your Foot/Ankle
– Manual therapy: Active and Passive Mobilisation or manipulation of Foot/Ankle joints (talocrural joint)
– Massage Therapy: Hands on techniques such as soft tissue release, deep friction massage, myofascial release, trigger points release on Foot/Ankle surrounding muscles (Peroneal, calf – gastro/soleus)
– Pain Relief Therapy: Using pain relief treatment modalities such as Ultrasound , electrical stimulation, TENS, laser, heat therapy to heal and repair injured, inflammed, torn tissues or ligament- anterior talofibular ligament (ATFL), posterior talofibular ligament (PTFL), calcaneofibular ligament (CFL)
– Shockwave Therapy: Advanced high energy pulses effective for chronic, persistent knee Foot/Ankle tightness, trigger points to stimulate healing. Proven treatment for Achilles tendonitis, calcification/ bone spurs, plantar fasciitis
– Exercise Therapy: Guided 1-1 specific joint movement therapy, muscle stretching, progressive strengthening Foot/Ankle muscles, conditioning back to sports, functional training
– Education: Advice to improve posture, lifestyle modifications, get back to jogging, sports
Our unique treatment approach for Foot/Ankle pain
At heal360 Physioclinic, our physiotherapist and rehabilitation therapist experts has developed a proprietary signature program for the Foot/Ankle pain –PainRelief360™ Program
Our therapist will perform a thorough assessment and determine the potential cause of the Foot/Ankle problem, and will develop a management and best treatment program for your Foot/Ankle pain: relief pain, regain your Foot/Ankle movement and give you a renewed, stronger Foot/Ankle !