Understand Pain: Piriformis Syndrome
Piriformis Syndrome is a painful condition in the hip/buttocks. When your piriformis muscles are tight and inflammed, they cause nerve irritation. This ‘compression’ of the sciatic nerve is what makes you feel the tingling pain …and is quite literally a ‘pain in the butt’!
Furthermore, this imbalance can destabilize your movements, as the sciatic nerve passes through from hip to foot. This causes pain in the hips, back, thighs, and down to the foot.
Piriformis muscle acts as a hip external rotator, abductor, and flexor of the hip, providing hip joint control and postural stability during walking and standing.
Why do I have this ‘Pain in the butt’?
A common cause of Piriformis syndrome is by sitting on your wallet (men, take note!) or anything that forces your body into habitually sitting in a non-neutral (lop-sided) position.
Repetitive, vigorous activity such as long-distance running, prolonged working at the desk, or previous trauma or injury also causes your buttock muscles to become tight. If untreated, it may results in muscle imbalance, which leads to piriformis syndrome.
Signs and Symptoms of Piriformis Syndrome
If you are experiencing the following, please do check in with us:
– Deep aching pain in or near the buttocks
– Tingling, numbness around the butt area, or down to your foot
– Radiating pain to your legs and toes
– Tenderness when you press your piriformis muscles
– Hip pain
– Difficulty with walking
– Constant need to go for massage to ‘release’ the ‘butt pain’
Effective treatments that can help Piriformis hip pain
The treatment of hip pain will entirely depends on the cause of hip problem. All conditions are different, and treatments may differ from each individual.
Treatment for hip pain may consists of:
– Physiotherapy: Your physiotherapist will understand about your hip pain and perform physical examinations. Your hip conditions will be diagnose and explain before implementing solutions to your hip
– Manual therapy: Active and Passive Mobilisation or manipulation of hip joints
– Massage Therapy: Hands on techniques such as soft tissue release, deep friction massage, myofascial release, trigger points release on hip surrounding muscles
– Pain Relief Therapy: Using pain relief treatment modalities such as Ultrasound , electrical stimulation, TENS, laser, heat therapy to heal and repair injured, inflammed, torn tissues
– Shockwave Therapy: Advanced high energy pulses effective for chronic, persistent hip muscle tightness, trigger points to stimulate healing. Proven treatment for tendonitis, calcification/ bone spurs, hip labrum tear
– Exercise Therapy: Guided 1-1 specific joint movement therapy, muscle stretching, progressive strengthening hip, conditioning back to sports, functional training
– Education: Advice to improve posture, lifestyle modifications
Our unique treatment approach for Piriformis Syndrome
At heal360 Physioclinic, our physiotherapist and rehabilitation therapist experts has developed a proprietary signature program for the hip pain –PainRelief360™ Program
Our therapist will perform a thorough assessment and determine the potential cause of the hip problem, and will develop a management and best treatment program for your hip pain: relief pain, regain your hip movement and give you a renewed, stronger hip!
To treat your hip Pain, please call our therapist at 62244178 or 9639 0509 or EMAIL US