What is Osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis, or OA, is a type of degenerative arthritis, pain and inflammation that affects any joints, wear and tear of cartilage and surrounding soft tissues. Osteoarthritis occurs more common as people aged from mid 40s.
Causes of Osteoarthritis
The cause of osteoarthritis is
– Family History
– Injury from trauma or disease.
– Excessive use over the years
– Repetitive stress loading
– Overweight/ Obesity
– Muscle weakness
Signs and Symptoms of Osteoarthritis
Osteoarthritis is a degenerative joint disease that has the potential to cause complete joint cartilage loss and functional disability in years to come.
– Pain and Inflammation on joints
– Red, warm, swelling
– Joint Stiffness: morning stiffness
– Joint deformity, Joint cracking noise
– Weight Bearing Joints may be affected: hip, knees, spine (neck, back), shoulders, hands, jaw
– Osteoarthritis Knee/Hip: Difficulty walking, climbing stairs, squatting or kneeling
– Muscle tightness or aches
Effective Treatments Solution for Osteoarthritis:
–Pain Relief Therapy: Using pain relieving treatment modalites such as Ultrasound , electrical stimulation, TENS, laser, heat therapy to reduce pain & inflammation, joint & tissue repair and healing
– Physiotherapy: Physiotherapist will educate you on the benefits of exercise and advice on how to further prevent joint damage. It is very important to balance rest and activity and tailor your exercise program accordingly, to avoid excessive stress on your joints.
– Medical Exercise Therapy: Specific targeted exercises to relieve muscle tightness, correct muscle imbalance. Long term progressive exercises are important to prevent joint injury. Exercises are guided by therapist to correct possible incorrect compensatory movement and ensure proper posture alignment, technique and muscle activation.
– Stretch Therapy: Using a variety of different active or passive stretching methods to improve muscle length, reduce muscle tension
– Massage Therapy: Hands-on technique such as soft tissue release, deep friction massage, myofascial release, trigger points release to ease muscle pain and muscle tightness to reduce joint pressure
–Shockwave Therapy: Advanced high energy pulses effective for chronic, persistent muscle tightness, trigger points to stimulate healing
– Spinal Decompression Therapy: Using computerized system creates an anti-gravity, negative pressure to the cervical, thoracic or lumbar spine on the spinal disc, joints, nerves and muscles.
– Manual Therapy: Passive joint mobilisation, manipulation, manual traction,
– Education: Advice to improve posture, lifestyle modifications, ergonomics workstation adjustment, joint stress reductions
Our unique treatment approach for Osteoarthritis
At heal360 Physioclinic, our physiotherapist and rehabilitation therapist experts has developed a proprietary signature program for osteoarthritis- PainRelief360™ Program
Our therapist will perform a thorough assessment and determine the potential cause of the problem, and will develop a management and best treatment program for your osteoarthritis : re-educate, strengthen your muscles, reduce joint stress, and give you a renewed life!