What is Ribs Pain?
Ribs pain is pain or discomfort that occurs in the ribs.
Also known as costochondritis, intercostal neuritis, inter-costal muscle injury, costovertebral joint sprain or costo-transverse sprain
What causes rib pain?
Rib pain is mostly due to injury such as broken ribs or pulled or strained muscles and tendons of the back, chest, arms or shoulders. Other causes of rib pain are osteoporosis, fibromyalgia,
People who have rib pain for a long time can be due to:
- upper back pain
- poor back core muscles
- increased slouching, forward shoulders (kyphosis)
- inactive lifestyle
- women with large breasts
- people who carry loads for prolonged times
Ribs pain can be also a serious disorders, diseases or conditions from the organs such as lung, heart that can result from infection, myocardial infarction(heart attack), inflammation, trauma, malignancy, and other abnormal processes.
Signs and Symptoms of Ribs Pain
- Chest pain
- Sharp stabbing
- Pain radiating to front body, arms or shoulders
Signs and Symptoms of Ribs Fracture
- Pain, especially on deep breathing and coughing
- Muscle spasms over the ribs
- Difficulty in back movements
Physiotherapy Treatments for Ribs Pain
Our Physiotherapy at Physioclinic have experience in treating rib and spine pain.
– Pain relief Treatments and Tissue Healing
– manual hands-on techniques to loosen stiff thoracic and rib joints, restore normal alignment
– Massage: soft tissue release
– Postural strengthening