What is Wry Neck?
Wry Neck also known as torticollis. It is a shortening of the neck muscles which cause the neck drawn to one side and usually rotated so that the chin points to the opposite side.
Acute wry neck is an extremely common condition and pain sufferer experiences constant severe pain with simple neck movements.
Causes of the Wry Neck:
- Inherited- due to changes in your genes
- Acquired- develops as a result of damage to nervous system.
- Born with wrong position
- Adapted to wrong position eg wrong sleeping posture
- Acute wry neck can be caused by facet joint locked or disc injury or muscle spasm
What are the Signs and Symptoms?
- Neck pain
- Limited range of motion of the head
- Shoulder is higher on one side
- Stiffness of the neck muscles at one side
Physiotherapy treatment for Wry Neck
Most acute wry neck can be treated and unlocked immediately with physiotherapy. However, some residual effects may last up to few weeks.
Our physiotherapists at Physioclinic provide specialized assessment and treatment for people with wry neck.
Physiotherapy treatment will initially reduce pain and swelling, range of motion and strength will be restored as quickly as possible through:
- Heat therapy
- Pain relief therapy:electrical stimulation and ultrasound
- Soft tissue massage
- Gentle joint mobilization
- Neck manipulation
- Stretching and strengthening neck exercises
- Use of cervical collar
Our physiotherapist recommend immediate treatment for acute wry neck for the best and quickest result.