Osgood Schlatter Disease (OSD)
Osgood Schlatter Disease is a condition where the injury of the knee or an overuse condition causing pain and swelling below the knee area over the tibial tuberosity. It is the inflammation of the patellar tendon and surrounding soft tissues.
What are the causes of Osgood Schlatter Disease?
- The constant pulling of the patellar tendon on the area below the knee where the tendon attaches as the bones grow longer.
- Ages: most common to preteen and teenage boys from 11 to 15 years old
What are the sign & symptoms of Schlatter Disease?
- Muscles tightness at the knee surrounding
- Tenderness below the knee
- Swelling around the knee
- Experience pain beneath knee cap
- Pain increase during activities such as squatting, jumping and hopping
How can physiotherapy do for Osgood Schlatter Disease?
Physiotherapy is able to heal Osgood Schlatter Disease with the appropriate treatments in most cases. Physiotherapy is extremely useful for Osgood Schlatter Disease, its shows great reduce of pain.
At Physioclinic, our Physiotherapist will perform a thorough subjective and objective assessment and will develop a management plan for your knee pain.
Physical therapy treatment plan for knee pain may include:
- Pain relief modalities: Ice therapy, hydrotherapy, therapeutic ultrasound and electrical stimulation (EMS and TENS) to decrease pain and tightness at the knee.
- Exercises: Stretching exercises to regain flexibility of the quadriceps muscles, strengthening of the muscles around the knee, and balancing exercises.
- Joint mobilization/ manipulation for the soft tissue and peripheral joint.
- Massage: Soft tissue massage to decrease pain and muscle, increase circulation and muscle flexibility and overall mobility will be improved
- Passive range of motion to improve range of motion