What is Cervical Discectomy?
Cervical Discectomy is a surgical procedure to remove neck herniated disc material that is pressing on the spinal cord or the nerve root.
When to Start Physiotherapy?
Rehabilitation can start as soon as the day after surgery.
Physiotherapy for Pre-operation- Discectomy
- Education on posture
- Functional range of motion
- Current functional levels
- Use of neck collar for support
- Post-operative expectations and spinal care management
Physiotherapy for Post Discectomy
- Reduce pain, edema and scars using therapeutic modalities such as ultrasound, electrical stimulation, ice therapy and bioptron
- Postural education and body mechanics
- Range of motion exercises for the neck and trunk
- Stretching exercises
- Neck and core stability
- Neck and Upper body strengthening exercises
Physiotherapy treatment will be customized to individual base from the symptoms and level of function to improve mobility, strength and increase confidence from daily activities to sports & work. The rehabilitation post cervical discectomy may take up to 3 to 6 months or longer.