What is Meniscus repairs surgery?
A meniscus repair is a surgical procedure used to repair or removal of the medial/lateral meniscus by stitching the torn pieces together.
When to Start Physiotherapy?
Rehabilitation may begin 3-5 days post operatively.
Physiotherapy for Pre meniscus repair surgery
- Pain relief treatments such as heat therapy, ice therapy, ultrasound therapy
- Strengthening knee to prepare you for your post-operative rehabilitation
Physiotherapy & Rehabilitation for Post meniscus repair surgery
- Reduce pain and swelling such as using ultrasound, ice therapy and bioptron.
- Mobilization of the knee (tibiofemoral) and kneecap (patellofemoral) joints
- Soft tissue massage to reduce stiffness of the knee
- Knee stretching
- Normalize knee range of motion and muscle lengths
- Strengthening and stretching exercises of the lower limb eg. Quadriceps, hamstrings,calves, pelvis and hip muscles. Progression from basic non weight bearing exercises to advance weight bearing exercises.
- Knee control, stability and proprioception
- Back to sports specific training
Physiotherapy may take as long as 6 months to a year to get full range of hip/knee movement, full strength or back to sports, depending on individual condition, motivation and medical fitness.