What is Shoulder Pain?
Shoulder pain is very common as our shoulder is the most mobile and complex joint in the body.
It is important to assess the cause of the shoulder symptoms and appropriate physio treatment.
What causes shoulder pain?
Shoulder pain is not always caused by a problem in the shoulder. It maybe also caused by problems in the neck (referred pain).
Other common causes of shoulder pain:
– Rotator Cuff Tendinitis/ Tendinopathy/ Tendinosis/ Calcified tendon
– Shoulder Impingement Syndrome
– Shoulder Dislocation/ Subluxation/ Shoulder Instability
– Labral Tear
– Shoulder Arthritis
– Fracture of humerus (arm)
– Shoulder Separation/ Acromioclavicular (AC) Joint separation
When should I see a Phyisotherapist for shoulder pain?
See a physiotherapist when you are unsure the causes of shoulder pain, or if you do not know of what the treatments and recommendations that can help.
Signs and Symptoms should be seen by physiotherapist:
– unable to move arm or carry objects
– shoulder pain, aching, numbness persists a few days
– injuries or fall
– stiffness and tightness on shoulder joint and muscles
– shoulder weakness or unstable
What are the physiotherapy treatments that can help shoulder pain?
The treatment of shoulder pain will entirely depends on the cause of shoulder problem. All conditions are different, and treatments may differ from each individual.
Our treatments for shoulder pain may consists of:
– Manual therapy: joint mobilisation, manipulation
– Massage: soft tissue release, deep friction massage
– Pain Relief & Healing Treatments: Ultrasound , electrical stimulation, TENS, laser, heat therapy
– Shockwave Therapy
– Therapeutic Exercises: Stretching and Strengthening shoulder muscles
– Education: Advice to improve posture, lifestyle modifications