What is Frozen shoulder?
Frozen shoulder, or adhesive capsulitis, is the most common pain in the shoulder, sometimes leading into the upper arm and shoulder blade pain. This may cause a decrease in shoulder movement, stiffness of the shoulder joint.
What causes Frozen shoulder?
- Shoulder pain, aches
- Shoulder tendonitis strains
- Shoulder Subluxation or Dislocations
- Fracture of shoulder or arm
- Secondary to other medical problems such as thyroid illness, Parkinson disease, and cardiac disease and post-surgery.
- Other condition requiring shoulder immobilization for a period of time. During this time, the capsule of the shoulder joint becomes inflamed and thickened, sometimes contracted.
What are the symptoms of Frozen shoulder?
- Intense pain, dull or aching
- Difficulties sleeping
- Restricted range of motion or stiffness
- Decreased strength and stability, as well as scapular stability
The normal course of frozen shoulder has three stages: freezing, frozen and thawing, which can last up to 2 years or more.
How can Physiotherapy help Frozen Shoulder?
Frozen Shoulder is a self-limited condition. However, physiotherapy has been proven to shorten the healing process. After assessing the physical and functional restrictions and impairments, the physiotherapist will aim the treatment towards pain and inflammation reduction, and restoration of the motion.
At heal360 Physioclinic, our therapist will use modalities, such as: Ultrasound, Laser, TENS, ice and heat are used to reduce the pain and inflammation. Through manual techniques, passive range of motion, stretches, mobilization and traction, the mobility of the shoulder can be gradually increased. The therapist will direct and supervise patients through a gradual flexibility, range of motion and strengthening program, to restore normal mobility and strength and to help improving shoulder function.
The education and close monitoring with a comprehensive exercise program, provided by your therapist, are keyways to successfully heal and restore function of a frozen shoulder.