What is Ankylosing Spondylitis?
Ankylosing Spondylitis, AS, is a long term type of arthritis causing pain and inflammation, affecting mainly the spine and sacroiliac joint. It also lead to stiffness of the spine as the bones join together.
Causes of Ankylosing Spondylitis
The cause of Ankylosing Spondylitis is not clear, mostly due to genetics.
Commonly seen in males than females, begins at age 20-40.
Signs and Symptoms of Ankylosing Spondylitis
Symptoms of Ankylosing Spondylitis can vary from mild to severe, and usually flare up inflammation time to time.
– Back pain
– Lower back stiffness, especially at night or morning or period of inactivity
– Other joints painful and stiffness: hips, knees, ankles, and shoulders
– Better with movement or exercises
– Fatigue and Tiredness
– Weight loss
– Loss of appetite
– Inflammation of the eyes
– In severe cases, back deformity – stoop (bending over) posture
Physiotherapy Treatment for Ankylosing Spondylitis
At Physioclinic, our physiotherapy goal is to ease pain and stiffness, to keep your spine as flexible and strong as possible, and to limit the extent of any back deformity.
Physiotherapy Treatments may include:
– Pain relief treatment
– Flexibility Exercises
– Clinical Pilates
– Postural Training and strengthening
– Aqua Therapy
– Lifestyle modifications