Ulnar nerve palsy is the damage of the ulnar nerve, as this nerve runs from the shoulder to hand responsible for carrying signals between hand and brain which enable motion and feeling in hand and forearm. Thus injury to the nerve can damage this communication which limits motion and feeling in the hand and forearm.
What are the causes of ulnar nerve palsy?
- Laceration at the wrist
- Trauma at medial epicondyle of elbow
- Elbow fracture/ dislocation
- Excess pressure on nerve
- Nerve pressure due to swelling
What are the sign & symptoms of Ulnar nerve palsy?
- Hand weakness
- Loss grip strength
- Tingling or burning in hand
- Loss of sensation and coordination at fingers
Effective treatments that can help ulnar nerve pain
The treatment of elbow pain will entirely depends on the cause of elbow problem. All conditions are different, and treatments may differ from each individual.
Treatment for elbow pain may consists of:
– Physiotherapy: Your physiotherapist will understand about your elbow pain and perform physical examinations. Your elbow conditions will be diagnose and explain before implementing solutions to your elbow
– Manual therapy: Active and Passive Mobilisation or manipulation of elbow joints (humeroradial joint, proximal radioulnar joint)
– Massage Therapy: Hands on techniques such as soft tissue release, deep friction massage, myofascial release, trigger points release on elbow muscles (triceps brachii, anconeus, brachialis, biceps brachii, brachioradialis)
– Pain Relief Therapy: Using pain relief treatment modalities such as Ultrasound , electrical stimulation, TENS, laser, heat therapy to heal and repair injured, inflammed, torn tissues and nerves
– Shockwave Therapy: Advanced high energy pulses effective for chronic, persistent elbow muscle tightness, trigger points to stimulate healing. Proven treatment for elbow tendonitis, calcification/ bone spurs
– Exercise Therapy: Guided 1-1 specific joint movement therapy, muscle stretching, progressive strengthening elbow, conditioning back to sports, functional training
– Education: Advice to improve posture, lifestyle modifications
Our unique treatment approach for Ulnar Nerve Pain
At heal360 Physioclinic, our physiotherapist and rehabilitation therapist experts has developed a proprietary signature program for the elbow pain –PainRelief360™ Program
Our therapist will perform a thorough assessment and determine the potential cause of the elbow problem, and will develop a management and best treatment program for your elbow pain: relief pain, regain your elbow movement and give you a renewed, stronger elbow!