Lumbago is the acute or chronic pain in the lower part of the back.
What are the causes of Lumbago?
- Muscle strain, spasm or osteoarthritis
- Herniated disk
- Spinal stenosis
- Compression fracture
- Overloading the spinal cord
- Incorrect position when lifting
- Poor posture
- Poor sleeping position
What are the sign & symptoms of Lumbago?
- Pain at the lower part of the back, which may radiates to the buttocks, back of the thighs or to the groin.
- Stabbing or shooting sensation
- Limited of movement of the spine
- Tingling or numbness experienced in back, leg or buttock passing down to the foot result in sciatica.
- Stiffness at the back caused by spasm of muscles surrounding the spine.
- Change in posture or limp as the pain and spasm caused the back tilting to one side.
What are the Physiotherapy treatments for Lumbago?
At heal360 Physioclinic, our therapist will perform a thorough assessment and determine the potential cause of the problem, and will develop a management plan for your lower back pain.
- Pain relief modalities: heat therapy, ice packs and electrical stimulation. The heat pad will be used to warm up the muscles prior to doing stretching and exercising after which ice pack will be used to sooth the muscles and soft tissue. Electrical stimulation such as transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS), is able to reduce back pain intensity by stimulate the underlying nerves.
- Exercises: Strengthening of the core and back muscles and stretching for the back and hip by doing flexion exercises and developing muscle at the spine for support through extension exercises.
- Massage: massage is able to relieve chronic lower back pain