What is Lumbar Spondylosis- ‘Back Arthritis’?
Lumbar Spondylosis is a common cause of back pain condition as people increased age.
Also known as ‘Arthritis of the Back’, degeneration changes such as wear and tear of cartilage and bone, degenerated disc, bone spurs.
Often, lumbar spondylosis condition is mixed up with other similar back conditions:
- Lumbar Spondylitis: inflammation of one or more vertebrae, such as in ankylosing spondylitis
- Lumbar Spondylolysis: defect or crack (stress fracture) of the articulating part of the vertebra, the pars interarticularis
- Lumbar Spondylolisthesis: forward or backward movement of lumbar vertebrae on the vertebra below it, or on the sacrum
- Lumbar Spinal stenosis: narrowing of the spinal canal.
Causes of Lumbar Spondylosis
- Aging, symptoms notice at age 20-50
- Arthritis of other joints such as neck, knee, shoulder
- Injury History
- Constant sitting for a long period of time, poor posture
- Lifting heavy objects
- Overweight/ Obesity
Signs and Symptoms of Lumbar Spondylosis
- Back Pain
- Pinched nerves, radiating to legs
- After prolonged activities such as sitting, standing, walking
- After inactivity, eg getting up bed from sleep
- Stiffness in morning
Physiotherapy Treatments for Lumbar Spondylosis
At Physioclinic, our physiotherapist will treat each patient differently for back arthritis depending on their individual condition after assessment. In most cases, physiotherapy can be useed to treat back pain without need for surgery or medications.
Physiotherapy treatments for back may include:
- Pain Relief Treatments
- Rehabilitative Exercises: Stretching and strengthening
- Core Strengthening and stability
- Ergonomics and lifestyle advice
Seek help early if you are suffering from Lumbar Spondylosis. Call /SMS our physiotherapist at 62244178/ 9639 0509 or EMAIL US