Bunion (Hallux Valgus)
Bunion is a deformity, a condition which affects the joint, where a bump is grows at the outer side of the first metatarsophalangeal joint.
What are the causes of Bunion?
- Abnormal pressure
- The type of footwear, example: high heels, shoes that crowed the toes
- Injuries of the foot
- Poor foot arch control
What are the sign & symptoms of Bunion?
- Experiencing burning sensation
- Pain or soreness
- Fluid-filled sac may develop at the base of the toe
Effective treatments that can help Bunion pain
A bunion usually gets worse over time if it’s left untreated and the only way to correct a bunion is surgery. However the joint damage is able to reduce through treatment
Treatment for Bunion pain may consists of:
– Physiotherapy: Physiotherapy aims to reduce pain, strengthen and prevent a bunion from getting worse with time.
– Manual therapy: Active and Passive Mobilisation or manipulation of Foot/Ankle joints (talocrural joint), metatarsophalangeal joint (MCP), proximal interphalangeal joint (PIP), distal phalangeal joint (DP)
– Massage Therapy: Hands on techniques such as soft tissue release, deep friction massage, myofascial release, trigger points release on Foot/Ankle surrounding muscles (plantar fascia, Peroneal, calf – gastro/soleus)
– Pain Relief Therapy: Using pain relief treatment modalities such as Ultrasound , electrical stimulation, TENS, laser, heat therapy to heal and repair injured, inflammed, torn tissues or ligament
– Shockwave Therapy: Advanced high energy pulses effective for chronic, persistent knee Foot/Ankle tightness, trigger points to stimulate healing. Proven treatment for Achilles tendonitis, calcification/ bone spurs, plantar fasciitis
– Exercise Therapy: Guided 1-1 specific joint movement therapy, muscle stretching, progressive strengthening Foot/Ankle muscles, conditioning back to sports, functional training
– Education: Advice to improve posture, lifestyle modifications, get back to jogging, sports
Our unique treatment approach for Bunion pain
At heal360 Physioclinic, our physiotherapist and rehabilitation therapist experts has developed a proprietary signature program for the Bunion pain –PainRelief360™ Program
Our therapist will perform a thorough assessment and determine the potential cause of the Foot/Ankle problem, and will develop a management and best treatment program for your bunion pain: relief pain, regain your Foot/Ankle movement and give you a renewed, stronger Foot/Ankle !