Bunion (Hallux Valgus)
Bunion is a deformity, a condition which affects the joint, where a bump is grows at the outer side of the first metatarsophalangeal joint.
What are the causes of Bunion?
- Abnormal pressure
- The type of footwear, example: high heels, shoes that crowed the toes
- Injuries of the foot
- Poor foot arch control
What are the sign & symptoms of Bunion?
- Experiencing burning sensation
- Pain or soreness
- Fluid-filled sac may develop at the base of the toe
What are the Physiotherapy treatments for Bunion?
A bunion usually gets worse over time if it’s left untreated and the only way to correct a bunion is surgery. However the joint damage is able to reduce through physiotherapy. Physiotherapy aims to reduce pain, strengthen and prevent a bunion from getting worse with time.
- Pain relief modalities: Ice therapy, therapeutic ultrasound, electrical stimulation helps decrease pain, reduce inflammation and improve mobility of the surrounding muscles and tendons of the toe.
- Message: soft tissue massage to reduce any soft tissue or tendon irritation
- Joint mobilization to restore range of motion and normal joint mechanics of the the toe or foot by stretching the tissues.
- Exercises: joint stability, strengthening and stretching exercises for the muscles that lift the arch and the foot and toe to fight against the progression of the deformity.
Call our physiotherapists now if you suspect of suffering from bunion pain: 62244178/ 96390509 or EMAIL US