What is Patellar dislocation/ subluxation?
Patellar dislocation is displacement of the knee cap out from the normal position, it due to damage of the soft tissues surrounding the knee cap (patella).
Patella subluxation is a unstable kneecap which glides up and down out of knee glove. Subluxation is more common than dislocation and happens in woman.
What are causes of the Patella dislocation
- Sudden change in directions
- Excessive twisting or jumping forces
- Hyper flexibility of the connective tissues
- Tightness muscles
- Weakness of the knee muscles
Signs and symptoms of patellar dislocation
- Swelling of the knee
- Feeling the knee ‘ giving out’ or ‘ popping out ’
- Sudden or intensive pain in front the knee
- Clicking or gridding of the knee
- Sharp pain of the knee during high impact activities.
Physiotherapy treatment for patellar dislocation
Our physiotherapists at Physioclinic provide specialized assessment and treatment for people with patella dislocation/ subluxation.
Physiotherapy treatment may initially reduce pain and swelling, range of motion and strength will be restored as quickly as possible through
- Ice or Heat Therapy
- Soft tissues massage and joint mobilization
- Pain relief treatments: Electrical stimulation, Ultrasound
- Stretching and strengthening exercises
- Balance training
- Proprioception training
- Weight loss if necessary
- Patella taping
- Knee immobilization braces