What is Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome?
A Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (PFPS) also known as Runner’s Knee. It is inflammation or overuse of the soft tissues and cause of the Patella- Femoral joint capsule to damage.
What causes of the Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome?
- Tightness of the quadriceps and calf
- Poor jumping ability
- Weakness of quadriceps (VMO)
- Poor balance
- Shallow femoral groove
- Femoral deformity
Common Signs and symptoms
- Front knee pain
- Pain around the knee or inside the knee cap
- Clicking or gridding sounds during bending and strengthening of the knee
- Sharp pain of the knee during high impact activities.
- May experiences giving way of the knee
- Weakness of the knee muscles
Effective treatments that can help Patellafemoral Knee pain
The treatment of knee pain will entirely depends on the cause of knee problem. All conditions are different, and treatments may differ from each individual.
Treatment for knee pain may consists of:
– Physiotherapy: Your physiotherapist will understand about your knee pain and perform physical examinations. Your knee conditions will be diagnose and explain before implementing solutions to yourknee
– Manual therapy: Active and Passive Mobilisation or manipulation of knee joints, patella joint
– Massage Therapy: Hands on techniques such as soft tissue release, deep friction massage, myofascial release, trigger points release on knee surrounding muscles
– Pain Relief Therapy: Using pain relief treatment modalities such as Ultrasound , electrical stimulation, TENS, laser, heat therapy to heal and repair injured, inflammed, torn tissues or meniscus
– Shockwave Therapy: Advanced high energy pulses effective for chronic, persistent knee muscle tightness, trigger points to stimulate healing. Proven treatment for tendonitis, calcification/ bone spurs
– Exercise Therapy: Guided 1-1 specific joint movement therapy, muscle stretching, progressive strengthening hip/ knee, conditioning back to sports, functional training
– Education: Advice to improve posture, lifestyle modifications
Our unique treatment approach for Patellafemoral knee pain
At heal360 Physioclinic, our physiotherapist and rehabilitation therapist experts has developed a proprietary signature program for the knee pain –PainRelief360™ Program
Our therapist will perform a thorough assessment and determine the potential cause of the knee problem, and will develop a management and best treatment program for your knee pain: relief pain, regain your knee movement and give you a renewed, stronger knee!