What is Shin Splints?
Shin Splints (medial tibial stress syndrome) is pain or tenderness along front of the lower leg (shin bone- tibia).
What causes Shin Splints?
Most common cause is overuse activity leads to inflammation of the muscles, tendons, bone tissues and periosteum (thin layer of tissue covering a bone) of the tibia, causing pain.
– Flatfeet or low rigid arch
– Poor biomechanics
– Tight muscles
– Running/ Jogging/ Marching
– Sudden increase in training intensity, frequency
How Physiotherapy can treat Shin Splints?
– Advice correct footwear
– Orthotics/ Sports Taping
– Pain Relief Modalities such as ultrasound, electrical stimulation
– Stretching and Strengthening exercises
Shin Splints is quite often an injury that does not disappear on it on. It requires physiotherapist assessment, treatment and education as to how you can prevent this from reoccurring again.
Physioclinic Physiotherapist can assist with a speeder recovery!