Wrist/ finger pain is any pain, discomfort or numbness around the wrist/ fingers. It is a very common complaint which can happen in anyone, whether sedentary or active.
Certain factors can increase your risk of having wrist/ finger pain: sports participation, age, pregnancy, repetitive work.
What are the causes for Wrist / Finger Pain?
– Sudden impact injuries results in sprain or fractures
– Repetitive motion and overuse such as typing, using a mouse, playing racket games, writing, carrying baby
– Gripping hard on objects
Other causes of wrist/ finger pain:
– Arthritis: Osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid arthritis
– Ganglion Cysts
When do you need to see a physiotherapist for wrist / finger pain?
– Inability to lift object or use the arm
– Wrist / finger pain that occurs at night or at rest
– Wrist/ finger pain that persists beyond a few days
– Unable to straighten or bend the wrist / finger
– If wrist / finger pain and swelling last longer than a few days or become worse.
Delays in diagnosis and treatment can lead to poor healing, reduced range of motion and long-term disability.
What are the best treatment for wrist/ finger pain?
The treatment of wrist/ finger pain depends on the cause of the problem. It is important to examine the root cause before any treatment. Some treatments which may be useful:
– Rest and Icing
– Wrist support
– Gentle wrist stretching
– Physiotherapy pain treatments such as ultrasound, electrotherapy, TENS, joint mobilisation, soft tissue release