What is De Quervain Syndrome – Wrist Pain?
De Quervain pain syndrome or tendinitis , occurs when the tendons around the base on thumb side of the wrist are injured, irritated or inflamed.
De Quervain Tenosynovitis is the inflammation of the tenosynovium and tendon in wrist..
Causes of De Quervain Tendinitis:
– Overuse: Repeatedly hand and thumb motions such as grasping, pinching, squeezing, or wringing
– Arthritis condition, rheumatoid arthritis
– Seen in post pregnancy, or middle aged ladies
Signs of De Quervain’s tendinitis:
– Pain or soreness may be felt over the thumb side of the wrist, may travel up to forearm
– Gradual or sudden onset
– Swelling, inflammation
– Worsen with hand and thumb movement such as grasping objects, twisting the wrist, messaging on phone
– A “catching” or “snapping” sensation, crepitus noise may be felt when moving the thumb or wrist
– Difficult to move the thumb and wrist.
– Numbness may be experienced on the back of the thumb and index finger
Physiotherapy Treatment for De Quervain Pain
At Physioclinic, our physiotherapist will focus to reduce your pain and inflammation and strengthen up your hands, thumb and wrist to prevent reoccurence of De Quervain.
Our physiotherapy treatments may include:
– Pain Relief & Tissue Healing Treatments: Ultrasound therapy, electrical stimulation
– Joint mobilisation of hand, thumb, wrist
– Massage: Soft tissue release
– Thumb Spica splint to rest wrist and thumb
– Wrist and Hand Therapeutic Exercises: Stretching and Strengthening
– Lifestyle modifications and avoid activity that cause pain