What is Lumbar Spondylosis- ‘Back Arthritis’?
Lumbar Spondylosis is a common cause of back pain condition as people increased age.
Also known as ‘Arthritis of the Back’, degeneration changes such as wear and tear of cartilage and bone, degenerated disc, bone spurs.
Often, lumbar spondylosis condition is mixed up with other similar back conditions:
– Lumbar Spondylitis: inflammation of one or more vertebrae, such as in ankylosing spondylitis
– Lumbar Spondylolysis: defect or crack (stress fracture) of the articulating part of the vertebra, the pars interarticularis
– Lumbar Spondylolisthesis: forward or backward movement of lumbar vertebrae on the vertebra below it, or on the sacrum
– Lumbar Spinal stenosis: narrowing of the spinal canal.
Causes of Lumbar Spondylosis
– Aging, symptoms notice at age 20-50
– Arthritis of other joints such as neck, knee, shoulder
– Injury History
– Constant sitting for a long period of time, poor posture
– Lifting heavy objects
– Overweight/ Obesity
Signs and Symptoms of Lumbar Spondylosis
– Back Pain
– Pinched nerves, radiating to legs
– After prolonged activities such as sitting, standing, walking
– After inactivity, eg getting up bed from sleep
– Stiffness in morning
Effective Treatments Solution for Lumbar Spondylosis Back Pain:
–Pain Relief Therapy: Using pain relieving treatment modalites such as Ultrasound , electrical stimulation, TENS, laser, heat therapy to reduce pain, tissue repair and healing
– Physiotherapy: Your physiotherapist will understand about your back pain and perform physical examinations. Your back conditions will be diagnose and explain before implementing solutions to your back.
– Medical Exercise Therapy: Specific targeted exercises to relieve back pain, proper stretching to loosen back muscles tightness, correct muscle imbalance. Long term progressive exercises are important for chronic back pain to rehabilitate, strengthen deep abdominal, back and core muscles, exercises to improve dynamic spinal stability. All exercises are guided by therapist to correct possible incorrect compensatory movement and ensure proper posture alignment, technique and muscle activation.
– Stretch Therapy: Using a variety of different active or passive stretching methods to improve muscle length, reduce muscle tension
– Massage Therapy: Hands-on technique such as soft tissue release, deep friction massage, myofascial release, trigger points release to ease back pain and muscle tightness
–Shockwave Therapy: Advanced high energy pulses effective for chronic, persistent back muscle tightness, trigger points to stimulate healing
– Spinal Decompression Therapy: Using computerized system creates an anti-gravity, negative pressure to the thoracic and lumbar spine on the spinal disc, joints, nerves and muscles.
– Manual Therapy: Passive thoracic/ lumbar joint mobilisation, manipulation, manual traction, craniosacral therapy
– Education: Advice to improve posture, lifestyle modifications, ergonomics workstation adjustment, stress reductions
Our unique treatment approach for lumbar spondylosis pain
At heal360 Physioclinic, our physiotherapist and rehabilitation therapist experts has developed a proprietary signature program for the spine –Spine360™ Program
Our therapist will perform a thorough assessment and determine the potential cause of the problem, and will develop a management and best treatment program for your back pain: re-educate, re-train your spinal muscles, and give you a renewed, stronger spine and confident look!