Sacroiliac joint (SIJ) is formed by sacrum and iliac bones, below the lumbar spine and above the coccyx (tailbone).
Sacroiliac joint pain is also known as SI joint dysfunction, SI joint syndrome, SI joint strain, and SI joint inflammation.
Inflammation of the sacroiliac joint (sacroiliitis) can also produce pelvic pain and stiffness.
What are the Causes of Sacroiliac Joint Pain?
The exact cause of sacroiliac joint pain is unknown. The source of pain may be caused by:
– Hypermobility or instability (too much movement): pain is usually felt lower back or/and hip and may radiate to groin.
– Hypermobility or inflexibility (too little movement): pain is usually felt one side of the lower back or buttocks, may radiate down the leg.
– Direct trauma: car accident or fall
– Sport Injuries or repeated stress during activities
– Arthritis: Degenerative arthritis, gout, rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis
– Pregnancy/ Pelvic Pain
– Leg length Discrepancy (one leg longer than other)
What are the Signs and Symptoms for Sacroiliac Joint Pain?
– Dull aching pain in the lower back, hips
– May refer pain to groin, thigh, buttocks (but rarely go below knee)
– Pain usually worsen with standing or walking
– Pain relief with lying down
Effective Treatments Solution for SIJ Pain:
–Pain Relief Therapy: Using pain relieving treatment modalites such as Ultrasound , electrical stimulation, TENS, laser, heat therapy to reduce pain, tissue repair and healing
– Physiotherapy: Your physiotherapist will understand about your back /SIJ pain and perform physical examinations. Your back conditions will be diagnose and explain before implementing solutions to your back.
– Medical Exercise Therapy: Specific targeted exercises to relieve back /SIJ pain, proper stretching to loosen back muscles tightness, correct muscle imbalance. Long term progressive exercises are important for chronic back pain to rehabilitate, strengthen deep abdominal, back and core muscles, exercises to improve dynamic spinal stability. All exercises are guided by therapist to correct possible incorrect compensatory movement and ensure proper posture alignment, technique and muscle activation.
– Stretch Therapy: Using a variety of different active or passive stretching methods to improve muscle length, reduce muscle tension
– Massage Therapy: Hands-on technique such as soft tissue release, deep friction massage, myofascial release, trigger points release to ease back pain and muscle tightness
–Shockwave Therapy: Advanced high energy pulses effective for chronic, persistent back muscle tightness, trigger points to stimulate healing
– Spinal Decompression Therapy: Using computerized system creates an anti-gravity, negative pressure to the lumbar/SIJ spine on the spinal disc, joints, nerves and muscles.
– Manual Therapy: Passive thoracic/ lumbar/ SIJ joint mobilisation, manipulation, manual traction, craniosacral therapy
– Education: Advice to improve posture, lifestyle modifications, ergonomics workstation adjustment, stress reductions
Our unique treatment approach for SIJ back pain
At heal360 Physioclinic, our physiotherapist and rehabilitation therapist experts has developed a proprietary signature program for the spine –Spine360™ Program
Our therapist will perform a thorough assessment and determine the potential cause of the problem, and will develop a management and best treatment program for your back pain: re-educate, re-train your spinal muscles, and give you a renewed, stronger spine and confident look!